mylot

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The women in my life: My Heroes

March is Women's month and it's only fitting to honor women by writing something that shows how beautiful and great a woman is.

I don't want to blog about famous personalities instead, I want to write about the wonderful women in my life how they struggled, how they faced and how they survived every difficult situation in their lives.

In random order.

  • Zenaida "Nanay Naida" Cayanong. (My REAL mother) I grew up fearing her. But I saw how some of the people admire her, how they look up to her. And I thought, maybe, just maybe she's not that bad afterall. And I finally accepted the fact that my mother has been the greatest. Yes, she's not perfect, she has her flaws, her shortcomings, but who doesn't? What I admire about her the most is her courage. The courage to fight for what she wants, the way she suffered cancer, how she overcame it. But the thing that I love her for the most is she strived really hard together with my father to give my brothers and I the best life we could possibly have. We were never wealthy, we only had enough. We don't get everything we want but we always get what we need. Like I've said before, "bali-balihon man nako ang kalibutan, Nanay gihapon nako siya."
  • Leonor "Nanay Onon" Licup. Who would never love someone who took you in and took care of you since you were a tiny tod til your old enough to get married? She treated me like her own daughter, she took care of me like I was her own, she loved me like she was the one who gave birth to me. That's Nanay Onon. She was strict, I never got to swim in the sea because of her. I seldom go out to play in the streets because she didn't want me to. I played on my own with my dolls and other toys. I was urged to dance Hawaiian and ballroom solo for their entertainment. Memories. It's as if those were part of another time and place. How things changed but how she loved and cared for me remains the same. I love her like how I love my biological mother. And if I allow myself to be really honest, I love her more. She sacrificed a lot for me and I owe her a lot. I could never pay her back. All I could do is love her and try not to disappoint her.
  • Merlita "Inday Merlie" Licup. What good genes this family has. They took me in when my parents were too busy to take care of me. Shortly after Espee got married, Nanay Onon moved in with them in Cebu. I was left with Nang Inday, together with Fritz. She became my guardian from Junior year until I graduated in High School. She took care of Fritz and I. I still can't find the words to say. She took care of us when it was not even her responsibility. She sacrificed a lot for us without even asking anything in return. When I had noone to turn to, she was there for me. Distance never mattered. She would call just to check on me. And now, she's gone. But the goodness she had shown to us will never be forgotten. The memories we shared, both the good and the bad, will forever be etched in my mind and heart. The day you died left a kind of pain that I know will never, ever ease up. Wherever you are, I hope you are happy. I hope justice will be served.
  • Carmencita "Tiya Carmen" Cabeltis. I saw how she battled cancer. I watched how she fought to stay alive. I witnessed how it slowly beat her. And I looked at how she loved life eventhough hers was bittersweet. Cancer was not the only battle she fought. At a young age, she had dealt with more. But she survived it all. You see, dying from cancer doesn't mean you lost the fight. It's how you deal with it that determines whether you won or not. And I am one of the many who saw how she lived with what she had. And how I adored her for it. She never saw cancer as the end of her. Instead she saw it as a test and I know she passed it. She accepted her fate. She embraced God even more. She loved us with all that's left of her. My only consolation now is that she's finally with our creator and I know that she's pain-free now. Death doesn't mean goodbye. We'll see each other soon, I know.
  • Irene Joyce Cedano. My partner in crime, my chat buddy, my bff, my confidante, my alter ego. You see her always smiling, looking like she doesn't have any problems at all. Her smiles may fool you, haha. I'm sorry, Irene. Aira is a lot of things. But what struck me the most is how she can hold it together. How she can bottle all her emotions and not let it all out. How she doesn't allow drama to ruin her day. How she doesn't allow shits to get the best of her. And I saw how she lived with a loss so great but she did not give up. She never showed signs of weakness. And how I wish I could be like her. With all the drama I am dealing with now, I wish I was like her. Irene, I hope I won't regret writing this. Knowing you, you'd definitely rub this on my face. but bahala na.
  • Louhtes Gayle "Bitch" Aspacio. Motherhood was something we were not ready for. I saw how scared you were the day you learned you were pregnant. And I witnessed how you lived each day with Riley inside you. The past few days have been the most difficult times of your (Mikko's) lives. From the unexpected turn of events to the day things turned for the better. Bitch, I love you. And I care for you like how I care for a sibling. And I only want the best for you, and for Riley as well. Yesterday was by far the scariest day of our lives. And I saw how you braved it out. And because of that I respected you a whole lot more. Nakaya ni nimo, makaya pa jud nimo ang mga umaabot na trials. Ikaw pa!!! And all your friends are here for you, bitch. You know that.
  • Riley Dione Dela Pena. You scared us all. But you managed to make us smile over our tears. ALthough I only saw you from a far, I love you already. Fighting to live is enough for me to admire you, kiddo. I can't wait to hold you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

bitch u need to update this and add SAS here :) reading this makes me tear up