mylot

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The IELTS Experience

I waited for the results to come out before writing about my IELTS experience. And now it's here.

It all started when I got so bored back home and my parents won't let me come here in Cebu. The only way that they'd let me come here with allowance is if I do something related to my "profession". So I decided to take the test. NCLEX is too expensive and I don't think I need that right now.

So I went to one review center (Exams Advantage) and enrolled in their review. I started December of 2010 and I was planning to take the March exam. But I seldom attended my review and I was not really ready to take the test.

Up until now, I still do not understand why I didn't like attending my reviews. It's not that I wasn't comfortable it's just that I have no friends there. I didn't know anybody. Well, except for that one day when Alaine (my CDU batchmate) was there too.

I never had a complete week's attendance. I don't understand why I do this. All I was sure of was I always get so nervous during speaking interviews. I hate practice speaking. I didn't like it.

Then April, May and June came. Not once did I attend any class. My family was asking already. I gave them all the possible alibis I had. I knew I couldn't put it off any longer.

And the day came when I realized that I really have to attend my reviews and take the test as soon as possible.

And so I did. Before going home for Daphne's wedding, I paid for the July 30 exam. And after a week, I attended the review for two weeks (until the exam).

Sure, I took the exam. I wasn't ready but I had to do it. I was nervous but it was okay. I was lucky enough to have a native speaker for my Speaking Interview and being in a small room for the rest of my exam.

Then I realized, taking the exam was not that bad. I guess, deep down, I was so scared of failing or in the case of taking the IELTS, a low band score which means that my Knowledge and skills in English is not good enough.

Earlier this evening, I saw my test result online and my eyes searched for the number 6. And I found it.
I was not that surprised when I got 6.5. I had a feeling that I would have that at least in one of the modules. Writing has been my weakness, IELTS-wise. It's not that it was hard. You see, in the writing module, time is your enemy. I was lucky enough to finish writing over 150 and 250 words in task 1 and 2, respectively. But I barely had enough time to reread and check my work. haaaay. I guess that's the way things are.

So my score is not that disappointing or so they say. But I am disappointed with my 6.5 but what the hell. Everybody needs to fail sometimes.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to take again to have an above 7 band score. For now, I am satisfied.

But I would take again, I want above 7. Sooner or later, I will. Maybe later this year or early next year. I would take the exam again if I actually find a job or school abroad. :D

As for my plans now, I will be going home on Monday. But I still have a reason to come back, Espee's due late September-early October.

But I don't know for sure.

We just don't know where we end up next.

xoxo,
dee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi! Thanks for sharing your IELTS experience. I also reviewed for the IELTS test but with Jrooz Review Center (http://www.jroozreview.com). My friend referred me to this training center. It was funny though that in the first day of lecture, I found really nice people. The training was really an unforgettable experience. I always look forward to the mock tests and coaching and see my progress. Lucky enough I was able to get my target score! Yey! I needed the IELTS for my application in Canada.