mylot

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Life has a Purpose

Yay me.
I am a volunteer nurse. I'm not sure if I am allowed to say the name of the hospital since I'll be writing some things about my experiences there for the next six months. I've been going on duty exactly a week now. The first three days, I was a nervous wreck since it has been more than a year since I was in the hospital. And those first three days, we were just supposed to observe our staff and some volunteers since January and March. The past couple of days, I was on PM shift and I've been assigned OB-GYN duty. Dang. I have no freakin' experience except assist the doctors. But in the ER, the nurses have to do almost everything, even wheel the patient to their respective ward/room. I was able to do some things that I haven't tried while I was still studying.
I was a nervous wreck. I get nervous still since I don't know what will be the cases of our patients in the next days to come. but in a way I am confident enough to approach my patients and do my thing.

Being a volunteer is tiring, if not exhausting (especially if you think about not being paid). But I am just happy that at the end of each day, in my own little way, I was able to help and make the lives of other people easier. Sure there were times that I just got piss at them for being inattentive and stupid but hey, it's not entirely their fault that they're poor and they lack the proper knowledge. Sometimes they are just life's victims. At least they have the sense to go to the hospital and seek treatment, right?

And there are those patients that are just arrogant and "hambug". YOu know those patients who were brought to the ER because they were in a fight or was drunk and got in a fight and accidents. And still so "hambug" even if their blood is dripping from their heads or their stabwounds. I just wanna apply more pressure than necessary on their wounds till they scream in pain. Sometimes SOME people deserve to get hurt. I THINK. hehe

Anyway, I am liking what I am doing. In a way. I am liking it for a lot of reasons. A of all, I am not idle. I am actually working (without pay nga lang and its not exactly the best hospital but at least it's a gov't hospital.) B of all, I'm learning and relearning a lot of things job-related and otherwise.C of all, I'm meeting new people and making friends. D of all, my family are supportive of what I'm doing (since they were the ones who wanted me to be a volunteer). It's a win-win situation. E of all, I don't have to be home when school starts. I don't have to be in a constant war with my mother. This is like the main reason why I decided to be a volunteer.

I gotta go. I still need to prepare for my PM duty..

TA-TA.

No comments: