mylot

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

You don't always have to make lemonade

There were seven deaths (that I am aware of) in our barangay in the last four months. One was a tragedy and the rest we consider redemption. Freedom from pain, illness and problems.

Death used to be a scary thing for most of us. No one ever came back from it and told wonderful stories. Not that anyone ever came back, period. Now, it is considered as almost funny. Almost, in respect to the bereaved family.

What made it almost funny was that, the last three deaths occured less than 24 hours after the funeral of the last dead person. And a few minutes before the last funeral, another person died and before his Novena ended, another person died. And by far, she was the last of the list. And I hope it stays that way for another year.

A few people even joked that no one should bury the last person who died so that no one would follow. Haha. (Wow. That was a dark joke. Boo.)

The deaths of my loved ones taught me a lot of things about people, life, death and life after death and my attitude towards everything that has happened in the last four months.

I viewed Nang Inday's death as a tragedy. It was untimely, for me. But I know and I understand that it was part of God's plans. I accepted that. Somehow.

The death of Tiya Carmen was a redemption for me. For years she had suffered a lot. The last months of her life was painful not only for her but also for all of us who could see the pain that she'd gone through.

Lolo Odon's passing was somehow a transition from this life to another. Somehow I understood it as a part of life. He had been in this world far longer than any of us have and it's only right for him to go on.

Death is inevitable. We can dodge it. But we can not escape it. No one really can. And the exciting part is we don't really know when we'd go.

Right now, I just want to enjoy my life with my family and close friends. Seize the day.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Eat. Pray. Love.

Upon reading this, one must think that I am ready to die.

But I am not. I still have to have a good-paying job and help pay my family's debt and backpack around Europe and Asia. And maybe, just maybe fall in love and have kids and to actually see them grow and be the persons they want to be.

But these are only my plans. God has his own for me and I think I just have to wait and see and decide.

You see, when life gives you lemons, you don't always have to make lemonade. There are a whole lot of things you can do with lemons. :D

Do I make sense? Haha

No comments: