mylot

Sunday, December 18, 2011

I am more than grateful

Gone were the days when I used to raise hell when I didn't have new clothes, new shoes, new bags, new gadgets, new everything. I have come to terms with not having anything new once in awhile. I don't know how this enlightenment (or so I call it) occured.

All I know is that I am even more humbled thinking about what is happening in Mindanao and here I was living just above the comforts of everyday life (sans money) and in a way, worrying about what I should wear to the parties I'm going to attend.At one point, it did not seem right at all.

It's perfectly normal for us, humans to want things. We are insatiable beings, after all. But it also won't hurt a lot if we stop what we're doing for a moment and look at what's happening to our fellow Filipinos. If only I could do anything to ease their sufferings, I would. It's times like these that I wish I have a better job, more wealth-- just so I could help them.

Last night, before I succumbed to sleep, I prayed to God to keep us from harm's way. Not because I don't want to lose whatever's left of my gadgets, documents or any prized possessions. But because I can't bear to see people suffer. It takes a lot of strength and courage to be strong for yourself. But it takes more than that to be strong for everybody else.

And it also takes a little compassion and sensitivity to try and help.

At this point in time, I'm not even sure if prayer is enough. But I'm choosing to believe that it is more than enough. Situations, may it be good or bad, planned or surprising, are God's way of sending us a message. For us, hundreds, thousands of death is just not right, especially seeing kids' lifeless bodies. And we can not deny the fact that sometime while this tragedy is happening and as the number of deaths rise, we ask Him why this has to happen.

They said that things happen to build our characters, to give us insights-- in other words, something good always comes out of the bad, even the worst.

I choose to believe that there is something good that would come out of this tragic event. It may be impossible at this point to even think of something that is at least comforting to those who have lost a lot at this time of year. But I believe that there will come a time when all these would become clear to everyone.

Questioning, doubting and even becoming angry is unavoidable. But let's also keep in mind that in spite of the loss, we are still alive. The least we could do for those who have gone ahead is to pray for their souls.

And also to live. To appreciate that we are given another chance at life and we should make it right.

People have just lost their homes, their families, their lives. With that, some also lost their hope, their faith, their joy.

And here we are.

It's a big leap from where they are placed in the order of things.

And we considered ourselves unlucky for not having the best of everything.

Life is after all a matter of perspective.

I am lucky to be alive and be surrounded by the people I love and in spite of the tragedies my family faced this year, we are still living comfortably, at the very least.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Be grateful with your life, I just hope there would be some Christmas Cheers for them. I hope we are able to do something for them.

passive income and
Fitness, wellness and health

loidzmiatch said...

i am. i hope they found something to be thankful for the past holiday season. :D